I always felt starved for oxygen and could always tell the oxygen content of any building.
Having MCS really damaged my lungs. I developed asthma and coughed a lot for a year or two. This may not seem so bad for many people are are so ill from MCS, but strenuous African dance was my joy, I had just gotten certified as a Zumba teacher and I ride a bike by choice.
Even, after I stopped having reactions to laundry detergents and such, when the rest of me was not very sensitive to chemicals anymore, my lungs were still very sensitive. I went to several doctors, they always told me I was healthy and sent me off. I knew that my lungs were not well. My lungs would hurt when exposed to any chemicals. I knew how much oxygen was in any given environment and could hardly stand to be in a place with closed windows. I could not tolerate any kind of candles, smoke or lung irritants. I felt I could never get enough air. When people are dying they give them oxygen because the cells are oxygen starved. I knew this was me, I wanted an oxygen tank. I felt like a 90 year old as far as lungs go. Well, not exactly true, because I could ride my bike in hills, but for a year or two had diminished lung capacity, coughing and pain that would come and go.
I am happy to report that my lungs are very much better than 2 years ago. I don’t feel starved for oxygen like I used to. If I am exposed to lots of lung irritants,I feel it, but I would say my lungs are 90% better than they were.
(update: one year later, My low grade chronic cough stopped after receiving a Native American healing “cedar bath”. It was intense and life changing. I could put you in contact with these people if you are interested. Email Evespotofgold@gmail.com)
Lung support remedies are common in Ayurvedic, Chinese, American Indian and European traditional medicine. Each tradition has different herbs and foods which support the lungs.
Here are some things I know that heal the lungs:
Deep Breathing is an important aspect of lung detoxification. There are lots of ideas. Just Google. Basically, you count to 6 while slowly breathing in and then count to 6 breathing out. I rarely do this, but became aware of my breathing and breathe more deeply, in general.
Yoga is how I really learn to breathe and have that 20 minutes per day that i am focused on this. I feel great all over doing this. ( I am available for accountability partner, I have the yoga videos, we Skype http://detoxthebodymcs.com/yoga-do-it-from-home-with-me/ )
Cardio Exercise in an oxygen rich, non toxic environment strengthens your lungs!
- Oil Pulling is great for the lungs, try it..it seriously dislodges mucous.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEheaHvsh5U . I made this video.
- Quality Air Purifier in your home. I use Honeywell, they are well priced and easy to find. However, I really am no expert on air purifiers.Don’t use Ozone Purifiers, they harm the lungs. See American Lung Association warning.
- Add air purifying Plants to clean the air and add oxygen to your home. http://detoxthebodymcs.com/plants-that-clean-the-air-nasa-study/
- Keep your home free of dust, chemicals and other lung irritants.
- Oil of Oregano is great for the lungs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qyLMUopTI&feature=plcp (how to use, where to buy)
- Walk in the woods!
- Rosemary opens capillaries increasing oxygen flow to the blood,
- Lavender is healing to the lungs. I have a plant in my home and rub the leaves and breathe in the oils. Delicious!
- Mullein has been used for centuries for healing the lungs.
- Eucalyptus is great for opening the lungs
- Chrysanthemum combined with honeysuckle is frequently used in Chinese medicine to nourish lung tissue, clear toxins and inhibit bacteria growth.
- Cruciferous vegetables, including broccoli, kale and cabbage, have a positive effect on lung function
- Lemons and Limes are a great Lung Detox! http://detoxthebodymcs.com/lemon-detox-master-cleanse-without-the-fasting/
- Psychotherapy, getting rid of toxic people, meditation, changing jobs, hot sex,massage, relaxing music, or whatever helps you relax, de-stress and enjoy life. I actually think that long term shallow breathing from childhood traumas is what made me ill.
- Acupuncture is just great and worth every penny!
- Cut down or eliminate on dairy, its mucous forming. I quit milk, which is the most mucous forming. (Grass fed butter is a very healing food, BTW).
- Colloidal Silver and Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide can kill candida, fungus, parasites and microbes that can live in the lungs an sinuses. The peroxide has been known to heal emphysema. I have not tried this as it requires lots of study and can be dangerous if done improperly. I will do it one day. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice; just something I have studied.
- Check for Mold. Mold can seriously harm the lungs.
- Find Allergies and sensitivities which may cause inflammation in the body. Lots of people say modern wheat causes inflammation, so I stopped eating it (and feel great http://detoxthebodymcs.com/wheat-belly-lose-the-wheat-lose-the-weight-gluten-free-craze/
- Sauna is great Lung Detox!
- Himalayan Salt Candle are said to clean the air by adding negative ions that bind to pollutants, including electronic pollution. I don’t know if this is true, but they come in many shapes and sizes and make nice lamps!
- Chemical Avoidance: Detox your home and don’t breath in air fresheners, smoke, Teflon, Candles and other things that hurt the lungs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTFwW81Agg&feature=plcp
- All Detoxing is good for the lungs, Every detox organ like the liver, kidneys, lungs and skin are all benefited when you open up the detox pathways to one.
- Watch air pollution close your windows during rush hour, find air quality index information for your area and close the windows and set your activities accordingly on bad days.
- Buteyko method Breathing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteyko_method
- Aloe Vera brings oxygen to the blood and reduces inflammation.
These are some things that are great for the lungs. I have read and seen videos on people who have recovered form EVERY Lung ailment from cancer, to asthma and emphysema.